Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Butterball

So I realized just now that since I started looking for a new job early in the year, I've applied for probably 10 different positions in multiple states and I've yet to even get an interview. How's that for depressing? The jobs I was applying for initially were executive preservation jobs. Though I know that I could have done those jobs well, I'm sure my application camped out in the middle of the stack somewhere when like 100 people apply and I don't have but a few years of applicable experience. Heather and Becca, I know y'all are familiar with this leaky boat.

So now I'm applying for secretarial jobs. Jobs that require an Associates Degree at best. I can only assume that I'm not being called now because I'm OVER qualified to answer the phone. Employers know that secretary isn't my dream job and that I will keep looking for something better and leave if I find it. They assume they'd have to pay me more because I'm more educated. But they don't know how desperate I'm getting. I'm not scraping the bottom of the barrel just yet though. Still murking in the muck down there are babysitting jobs and Subway. For nine months in grad school I was the best Subway Sandwich Artist Jared ever did see. But the sheer magnitude of mayonnaise in that place is hardly worth the $8.00 an hour. I'm holding out.

I'm just a ball of anxiety right now, which is good because when I'm anxious, I eat. There's a 20-some pound Butterball in our fridge just waiting for my anxiety to attack it. Ha, funny story... speaking of Butterball. When I first started catering in undergrad, I was asked to go into the walk-in fridge and get the Butterballs. So I go in and start looking and after an embarrassing amount of time, I can't find any turkeys and they send someone to check on me. He grabs two buckets of little, round balls of butter and walks out. Maybe I'm not as educated as I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment