Sunday, November 27, 2011

Um.. there's a goat head in the freezer.

I focused all of my energy, attention, and anxiety to packing and making the trip to Massachusetts. I'm actually proud of how much I crammed in my car. The drive went by fairly quickly. First I got to 95, bypassed Richmond, and left Fredericksburg (my most Northern comfort zone) in the dust. Next was Washington, my first directional decision and, naturally, mistake. One minute I'm on the interstate and the next I'm in a ghetto neighborhood. But no worries, found my way back without incident. I even got a picture of the Washington Monument!

So I kept going, paying little to no attention to my book on tape because all I can hear is Wrigley meowing incessantly in my ear, and suddenly I'm in Maryland cruising past Baltimore. My next mistake loomed ahead in the form of the Jersey Turnpike, aka Highway Through Hell. Heather, I'm sure that there's more to New Jersey than what can be seen from the turnpike, but your love for Billy is obvious. Still, I found my way back on track and headed for New York City, my biggest fear.

I think I was literally shaking as the skyline came into view. Would I get totally lost? Would I end up in some dark alley?

Turns out it was no big deal and actually pretty fun. I love New York! And after that, the drive was a piece of cake. The tolls sucked and when I got on the turnpike, I didn't know what to do about the ticket. Turns out you pay when you get off! Neat, huh?

So then, 11 hours later, I found Nate. I was tired, hungry, and none too fresh. But with Nate, it never feels like we've been apart. Maybe because we talk all day even when we're not together. It was great to be with him again.

The unpacking is coming together. He has a ton of crap and for a dude, is really decorated. But we both love old stuff so he has a ton of old stuff. Most of my stuff isn't here yet so I have to keep it in mind as we set up. But it's going to be super cute and with my cats there, it already feels like home. The cats, by the way, are doing well. Whit keeps burrowing into the covers. We thought she had run away for about a half hour earlier today and found her curled up under about three feet of down comforter and blankets. Silly Whit!

So far the main differences I've seen about MA are the signs, which relate to snow. They say, "Low Salt Area" and such. It reminds me of signs around the beach for hurricane evacuation routes. Just not something you think of if you don't live there!

We did go into Lowes and I asked where cleaning supplies were and the lady couldn't understand me. Nate thought that was hilarious. I don't think my accent is that difficult to understand but whatever Yankees. These people don't even put sugar in their tea. What do they know.

So far the weirdest thing was finding a garbage bag in our freezer. Upon investigation, we found it to contain the results of a goat slaughtering. Ew. Just ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment