Monday, November 21, 2011

What's that noise coming from the trunk?

Five more days! Five more days until I hit the bricks for Yankeeland!

Mom and I were cooking dinner last night (which turned out delicious by the way) and we got to talking about recipes and cooking tips and such. Basically, I want to make sure I can cook for my man. Some lovin from my oven. As far as women have come and with our liberal, progressive worldview, I still feel an ingrained need to put food on the table for Nathan. Not for me really... when I lived alone I ate nothing that wasn't frozen first. But I have an overwhelming urge to get in the kitchen and produce something edible with  my own hands. Where the hell did that come from?

I suppose it could be considered a woman's responsibility to cook and clean and keep house. I mean, I've been pretending to do it since I was a little girl with my plastic food and baby dolls. Right now, pre-cohabitation, I feel happy- nay, excited!- to do those types of chores. After all, I expect him to maintain my vehicle, take out the trash, fix things (although I reckon I'll be changing the light bulbs), and similar such "manly" tasks. But like Kelly and I were talking about the other day, if you both work full time and come home tired at the end of the day, why does the man get to sit while the woman has to cook dinner? Should they not at least take turns? Maybe women just don't like men in their kitchens screwing with stuff. As, I'm sure, men don't want women in the garage. *Flashback to Tim Taylor and Home Improvement episodes that define my concept of a stereotypical marital relationship*

Still, I'm very excited about making a home for us. It'll take over a month before we're really settled because most of my stuff won't be brought up until after Christmas. But that's ok. The most important thing is that we're there together. Last night I dreamed that Kate Middleton went to UMass, fell in love with Nate, and asked him to move in with her, which he accepted because, c'mon, she's a princess. I've had many dreams similar to that. My subconscious is terrified that something is going to screw this up. I'm honestly surprised we've gotten to this point without some roadblock. But it appears that this is something we both really want to do so plans are going smoothly. I've even already got the trunk of my car packed! Very packed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment